Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Chicken with Leeks...

Recipe from "Classic Rachel Ray - 30 Minute Meals"

This recipe was requested by one of the hubs co-workers.  It is super simple, delicate and very tasty!  The only trick to this recipe is cutting the leeks correctly and making sure to wash them super well!  To wash them I cut them into the size to saute, then put them into a water-bath in batches and stir them around.  Once properly washed I drain them all and pat dry with a paper towel.


Ingredients
2 leeks
4 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6-8 ounces each)
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 tablespoons EVOO (it is a Rachel Ray recipe)
1 cup dry white wine (this should be a wine you enjoy drinking)

Directions
Trim leeks so that only the white and white/green parts remain (you do not want to eat the tough green ends).  I slice down the middle and then cut into ½” slices across.  Rinse leeks well and drain well as mentioned above.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.  Season chicken breasts liberally with salt and pepper.  Add evoo to coat skillet, then add the chicken breasts and brown, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.  Transfer to plate.  She wants you to add more oil to the pan here, but I would (and did) and a tablespoon of butter.  I think butter rounded out the flavor of the sauce.  Then add leeks and sauté for about 5 minutes or until softened.  Add wine to the pan.  Allow alcohol to bubble off and scrape up/mix-in brown bits from the bottom of the pan.  Then nestle chicken breasts back in pan.  Reduce heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes more.  To serve slice chicken on an angle and top with sauce.

How I would serve...
I would serve this with rice pilaf probably.  I would probably put a little lemon or white wine in it to match the leeks and chicken.

Enjoy :  )

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this one! I already told Evan about it. Every time he hears leeks his ears perk up and he reminiscences about those ones he had at your wedding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made this the other night but I couldn't find leeks anywhere so I substituted cabbage and it was delicious! I can't wait to try it again with leeks but either way I think I will make this one again :) And I did serve it as you suggested- Evan and Jordan both liked it!

    ReplyDelete