Monday, March 28, 2011

Garbanzo Bean Salad

I am not sure if anyone is like me, but a few times a year I go vegetarian for a few weeks to reboot my system.  My digestive system is finicky and after winter especially it feels really blah...so I start fresh by eating nothing but veggies for a few weeks.  No dairy, no meat, no eggs.  I have my pitfalls, but I feel SO much better when I am done.  So, I am on one of those kicks right now and I just developed the recipe below.  Even if you are not into a total vegetarian dinner, this would be a great *spring* sidedish.

Garbanzo Bean Salad:
2 cans of Garbanzo Beans - drained and rinsed well
3 green onions chopped
2 medium tomatoes - squeeze the seeds out and chop
1.5 T about of fresh chopped parsley
grate one clove of garlic
grate 1/4" to 1/2" of ginger depending on how much you like the flavor
juice one lemon
1 T of olive oil
Salt and Pepper and Toss

I served over a bed of spinach, red leaf lettuce and radicchio.  The colors were very pretty and the flavor was incredibly bright.  It would be a great garnish/side dish for some grilled chicken or skewers I thought as well.

If you ate .75 C you would be getting close to 10 grams of protein, zero fat, and about 240 calories - the recipe would obviously be easy to cut in half, but I wanted some leftovers for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment