Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Italian Tortellini Soup - with pictures!

I had this soup at Ally & Jeff's a month or so ago & then tried it at home a couple days ago- delicious! 

ITALIAN TORTELLINI SOUP

IN OLIVE OIL SAUTE:

1 C. DICED CELERY
1 1/2 C. ONION DICED
3 CLOVES OF GARLIC

ADD THE FOLLOWING & SIMMER FOR 45 MIN. :

1 1/2 LBS OF ITALIAN SAUSAGE *(COOKED) (I obviously just cooked it in the skillet with the garlic, etc)




6 C. CHICKEN BROTH
3 T. SUGAR
2 BAY LEAVES
1/2 t. THYME
1/2 t. OREGANO
1/2 t. PARSLEY
1 CAN TOMATO SAUCE OR TOMATO PUREE
2 CANS DICED ITALIAN TOMATOES






(I tried the sausage two different ways- with 1/2 of it I squeezed it out of the packing & broke it up.  With the other half, I cooked it first & then cut it up. Make sense? It obviously didn't affect the taste in any way, but it looked prettier (if that's possible) cooked & then cut.)




AT THE END ADD 1 PKG (FROZEN) CHEESE TORTELLINI. HEAT TIL SOFT.




*YOU CAN ALSO USE 1/2 HAMBURGER INSTEAD OF ALL SAUSAGE...THE MORE SAUSAGE YOU USE THE SPICIER IT IS :) (I actually did this, simply because I had extra hamburger in the fridge & needed to use it.  It could've been a bit spicier, but was still delicious!)

Serve with cornbread to make it extra yummy! 

5 comments:

  1. Are you telepathic? I was on the hunt for a tortellini soup recipe and assigned Andy with the task of finding one this week. He's off the hook, now. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't know, Cyndi? Telepathy is just one of my many super powers! Hope you guys love it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. We tried it tonight and it was very good! It's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have the ingredients to make this.. will be dinner at some point this week. i wanted opinions, though.. i've had a similar soup at one of my favorite restaurants here, but its a creamy tomato base instead. do you think substituting some of the chicken stock for heavy cream (like a cup or so, so you don't lose the flavor) would work? thoughts?

    ReplyDelete