Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mom's Chicken Salad - with a twist

I made this for dinner last night, and we both had it again for lunch today.. and probably again for lunch tomorrow! So, needless to say this makes a good portion. I've always loved my mom's chicken salad, but could never convince Brad to try it.. he always thought it sounded girly and wouldn't be enough to fill him up. He was wrong.. after the first bite his words were "add this to the keeper pile". And so, I share with you..

- 1 lb. chicken (we used two large chicken breasts)
- 2 large stalks of celery
- 1/4 or so of a small to medium onion
- 1 medium sized apple (any kind)
- 2 or 3 clusters of grapes from a bunch
- mayo
- salt & pepper
- curry powder

1. boil the chicken in a large pot with 1 bay leaf for 10-15 minutes, til done. Let cool completely
2. While boiling/cooling chicken, dice the fruit and vegetables into bite sized pieces (quarter the grapes, for a size reference)
3. When chicken has cooled, shred or tear apart into a bowl and toss liberally with salt and pepper
4. add grapes, apples, onion and celery to the bowl, mix.
5. bring it all together with mayo to the consistency you like. I start with 2 large spoons full and go from there.
6. once combined, season to taste with salt, pepper and curry.
7. refrigerate for at least one hour, serve on buttery croissants.. its the best way!

3 comments:

  1. The twist is apples. Mom doesn't do that. I LOVE her chicken salad. Drooling now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously YUM!!! I will only eat Chicken Salad if it has grapes in it, but I didn't think of apples...good idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nope, you're right cyn.. mom uses almonds. and while i do love those, brad hates them so i tried to think of a different way to add crunch.. and so the apples were the winner. also threw in come craisins because i had them in the cupboard.. also very good.

    ReplyDelete