My internet was down last night! We spent about 20 minutes trying to fix it, but then decided our time was better spent enjoying the evening and trying to pretend that we did not have internet.
This week’s menu has been shaped by two events: spending a day putting up Christmas decorations and my trip to Missouri Friday to Sunday. I needed something easy to have on the stove and eat when we were hungry while decorating for Christmas and I need something that will feed my man for three days while I am gone. I try to make a large meal before I leave so that there is something easy to heat up while I am gone. I do this so that it is easy for Evan to eat something healthy because if I don’t he will end up eating Mac and Cheese with hot sauce.
What’s on our table this week:
Potato and Corn Chowder
French Dip Sandwiches in the Crock Pot
Italian Sausages with Peppers and Marinara
Burritos
Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
Chili
Potato and Corn Chowder
I decided to roast the corn to make it a bit more special, but other than that I pretty much just used the traditional chowder base.
Saute 1 medium onion in 6 T of butter or a mix of butter and olive oil, once soft add 1/4 C (+1T if using milk instead of cream) of Flour, cook for 1 minute. Here are the herbs I used, but you can switch them out: S&P, rosemary, paprika (just a little), poultry seasoning (because I have it and there is thyme, garlic, and onion powder in there) Add 3 cans of low sodium chicken broth, 1 can of water (because you are cook potatoes in this liquid) and 2 C of Milk or 1 C of half and half or cream.
Dice peeled russet potatoes and add to liquid. Boil until cooked - 10-15 minutes depending on size.
During this time I roasted the corn in the oven at 425. I added olive oil, salt, pepper, 3 small cloves of garlic or 2 large ones and poultry seasoning. I tossed the corn halfway through.
Once the potatoes were cooked I used my immersion blender to blend some of the liquid.
I then added the corn to the soup and stirred. Once incorporated I added about 3/4 of a cup of cheddar cheese, and two large spoonfuls of sour cream.
I had some extra cheese available for a topper if desired. If I was not making this out of my pantry I might have added some bacon (but I do not like bacon, so maybe not) (I know, gasp, right!).
French Dip Sandwiches in the Crock Pot
I assume that your Grandma has made this, but if not you must add this to your Sunday supper repertoire!
Marinade enough Sirloin Tip Steak or lean Rump Roast to feed your crowd in the following:
1 can of beef broth
1/2 - 1 can water
1 pkg of Good Seasonings Italian Dressing Mix (the dry stuff)
1 pkg Aus Jus mix (you can also use an onion style aus jus or add onion if desired)
Marinade overnight or for a few hours. Put in your Crock Pot and cook 6-8 hours depending on temperature desired. It will probably fall apart, but if not you will need to slice the roast. Put sliced meat back in the crock pot and leave on low. Your crowd can serve themselves sandwiches and broth for dipping out of this crock pot for the whole night! Easy! Best served with Pasta Salad with tons of fresh veggies!!!
Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
This is one of the easiest and best recipes I have...I think I will save this one for it's own feature blog post so that I can link back to it!
Chili
My hubby can eat off of this for days. This time I bought him fries so that he can eat chili cheese fries for lunch one day. Okay - not everything has to be balanced and healthy! : )
Always looking for crock pot meals. Very excited to try the soup as well. I'm getting excited to make my next grocery list.
ReplyDelete