Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Goodies

Unfortunately, I bet I'm too late for the day of baking. I will still contribute 2 of my Christmas treat recipes.. one old (and classic!) and one that I recently discovered and LOVE.

The Classic... Peppermint Bark!

what you need:
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips (I use Ghiradelli.. might as well use the best, right?)
- 1 lb. (big bag) white chocolate chips
- the equivalent of about 1 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- foil and a cookie sheet

what to do:
- line your cookie sheet with foil, making sure to go up the sides
- pour your bag of milk chocolate chips onto the foiled sheet, and place in a 250 degree oven for 5 minutes
- remove pan from oven, and with a flat edged tool (knife, rubber scraper, etc.), spread the almost melted chocolate pieces to cover the length of your sheet. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, and up to an hour. Make sure this layer is completely cooled.
- meanwhile, unwrap and crush your candies. You may put them in a food processor if you have a heavy duty one. I chose instead to place them in a plastic bag and beat them with a meat pounder. Same difference. :)
- when your milk chocolate is nearly cooled completely, start melting your white chocolate down in a double boiler. When the chips have almost melted, add the peppermint extract and stir until completely incorporated and your chocolate is melted.
- here, you may go one of two ways- add the candies as well, or use the candies as a topper. I choose to add my candies into the white chocolate. Let it cool slightly, but warm enough to be spreadable.
- pour this mixture over the milk chocolate layer and spread, working quickly. Let cool completely, then break apart and serve!
** if you chose not to add the candies to the white chocolate, follow the same steps by pouring the white chocolate over the milk chocolate. Then, sprinkle the candies over the top, pressing into the white chocolate slightly to stick. Let cool, serve.


The New- Spiced Chai Eggnog Cookies!

what you need:
- 1 chai tea bag (i like tazo best)
- 1 (17.5-oz.) package sugar cookie mix
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons eggnog, divided
- Parchment paper
- Cinnamon sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

what to do:
-preheat oven to 350°. Remove tea leaves from tea bag; discard bag. Crush up leaves a bit, if desired
-Stir together tea leaves, cookie mix, butter, egg, and 2 Tbsp. eggnog until well blended.
-Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Flatten dough slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in cinnamon sugar
-Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheet to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 10 minutes)
-Whisk together powdered sugar, nutmeg, and remaining 2 Tbsp. eggnog until smooth. Spoon over cooled cookies.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Stef,
    Please bring both home for my sampling. I don't want our foodie friends to perhaps eat horrible treats. Andy and I appreciate it in advance. And by that, I mean that I will eat Andy's share as well.

    ReplyDelete