I am not sure how many of you are oatmeal eaters. I love it all - oatmeal, grits, any warm cooked cereal. My Dad hates it all. The man loves exotic things like Borsht and caviar, but cannot stand oatmeal even as a grown-up. So if you are one of those people I am not trying to convert you, but if you like oatmeal and it's cousins than you have to try Steel Cut Oatmeal if you are not already eating it.
If you follow these directions you will have warm (as close to instant as I am willing to get) breakfast for a week! You will have to get over the gross factor of "slicing" portions...just fair warning.
Irish Oatmeal
Go to Whole Foods or another grocery store with a bulk dry goods section
Buy Steel Cut Oatmeal in Bulk...think 2 C per week, buy as much as you want
To cook and have breakfast for a week here is what I do:
Measure out 2 cups of dried oats into a large pot
Add 6 cups of water
Add a generous sprinkling of salt (probably 1/4 teaspoon or so)
Stir well
Stir occasionally until it comes to a boil
Reduce to an active simmer and cook for 20 minutes
Scrape down the sides of the pot 3-4 times while cooking oats for 20 minutes
Serve immediately if you plan to eat immediately or put into a large gladware, seal, refrigerate and slice out portions over a week.
I slice out a portion, put it in a bowl and warm it up in the microwave for 3 minutes. It is a little dry to I add Soy Milk (I only drink Soy) and then any of the following: honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, nothing, rasins, or cinnamon apple sauce.
It has a ton of fiber, almost none existent fat, you only get the sodium/sugar that you add and it leaves me feeling healthy at the start of my day.
So that is my advertisement for Irish Oatmeal. That instant stuff from Quaker will never seem the inside of my home again!
I got some to try from HyVee today... man I miss Whole Foods though :/
ReplyDelete