Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pesto Chicken Pot Pie

While flipping through my mother-in-law's magazines one weekend, I saw the word PESTO and I was hooked. Found this in Family Circle and have adapted it to Andy's liking.

PESTO CHICKEN POT PIE

4 tbsp. butter
1 can mushrooms
1 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. Montreal chicken seasoning (I used Emeril's Essence, as I had it in my cabinet)
1 bag frozen mixed veggies, thawed
1 can cream of mushroom
2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken (or leftover chicken)
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 packet pesto sauce mix (I used Knorr)
1 tube crescent rolls (they make these as a full sheet now, instead of the triangles)
1 clove pressed garlic

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a 9 inch deep dish pie plate with cooking spray (I don't have a deep pie plate, so I used a 9 x 9 glass brownie pan instead).

In a bigger sized saucepan, melt 2 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add the can of mushrooms, flour and seasoning. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the veggies and can of soup. Bring to a boil and reduce head. Cook, while stirring, for 5 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken, half and half, parmesan cheese and pesto sauce mix. Pour into prepared dish. Unroll crescent rolls and place sheet across mixture. Meanwhile, in the microwave, melt the remaining 2 tbsp. butter and the pressed garlic clove. Brush across the top of the crescent rolls (I brushed it on thick - we love garlic!).

Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees until the bread is golden and the sauce bubbles. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

This is delicious. I don't ever go back for seconds, but I did that night. I also don't want to eat leftovers more than once, but I did with this! YUM!

6 comments:

  1. Okay, this is on my menu next week for sure! There is a restaurant in Arizona that used to serve something like this (fancy Chicken Pot Pie) and it was always so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndi - We made this last night and it was soooo good! We all went back for seconds! Evan was already talking about "next time we make it"...I smiled and said, "See, the blog is already paying dividends for you!" Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Glad you loved it. It's definitely a keeper in our house, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm making this (finally!) for dinner tonight and am really excited about it! I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to make this again but I have had it about 3 times in the past month but IT IS SO GOOD!!! I think I will make myself wait on this but it is happening soon!!!

    ReplyDelete