Two fabulous recipes - one main ingredient - a whole chicken.
If there's one thing I love more than recycling part of a meal, it's beginning that process in my crock pot. These dishes have both covered. Add a few ingredients & this chicken will last two solid meals for us (although it should probably be said that B doesn't eat meat).
Delicious Whole Slow Cooker Chicken
(in all fairness this recipe was named for Kathy, but as I have no idea who Kathy is, I thought better to drop it)
1 (3 pound, although I use larger) whole chicken, skin removed (I don't remove it, actually)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsps balsamic vinegar (I've used red wine vinegar both times instead)
2 tsps sesame oil
2 tbls minced garlic
1. remove skin from chicken (again, I don't do this) & empty inner cavity of contents within. pat chicken dry with a paper towel & place inside the slow cooker.
2. in a bowl, stir together the chicken broth, soy sauce, olive oil, honey, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, sesame oil, & minced garlic. pour mixture over chicken & cover.
3. cook chicken on low setting for 8 hours or high setting for 4 hours.
I typically serve this with rice, quinoa or cous cous & a green veggie. After we're finished making our selection, M is in charge of removing the remaining chicken & shredding it. Later in the week, I'll use the chicken in the following recipe.
Chicken Croissants
2 tbls butter
3 oz cream cheese
2 cups cooked chicken (this would be the 'recycled' shredded chicken)
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbls milk
1 tbls onions or chives, chopped
1 - 8 oz can refrigerated crescent rolls*
melted butter
seasoned crushed croutons
Cream butter & cream cheese until smooth. Add chicken. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Stir in milk & onions. Place 1/2 cup of filling into each full square* of crescent dough. Pull all 4 corners of dough to center & seal the sides. Brush the stuffed croissants with melted butter & sprinkle generously with crushed croutons. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
*note - a full-square of crescent dough is more of a rectangle, so you can roll it out a little with flour & a rolling pin to make it more square. this means, you do not pull it apart into triangles.
I also serve this with rice & a steamed veggie or two.
brad is seriously in love with any and all things you can put into refrigerated crescent rolls (including hotdogs and cheese.. ick). I'll definitely have to try this one out!
ReplyDeleteHahah, Andy too! Definitely trying this.
ReplyDeleteHow do you make your Quinoa? I have a recipe with dried cranberries and a tart sauce over it (I used the recipe to stuff acorn squash), but I have not found many other good ones.
ReplyDeleteStef - Funny cause when I read your comment to Mike, he asked if we could have hotdogs in a crescent roll!
ReplyDeleteAbby- Similarly to rice. Rinse, boil & simmer, somewhere around 15 minutes. Next time you're in Whole Foods, pick up the "How to cook rice & grains" (or something similarly titled) guide by the bulk grains. I can get you the exact info later on :)