I made this for dinner tonight and Evan insisted that I share it with you all. He thought the husbands would enjoy it. I was trying to use up some items I had in my pantry and it turned out really good. As an added bonus, it is one of the easiest things I have ever whipped up.
Beef Stroganoff Casserole
1 lb 93/7 ground beef
1 medium onion
2 cans Golden Mushroom Soup
3/4 of a can of half and half
3/4 Cup of Quality Beef Broth
1 ounce of cream cheese
1 lb of Barilla Mostaccioli Pasta (without the ribs) - cook according to package directions just until al dente, drain well
Preheat oven to 425F. Add some EVOO to a large skillet. Dice and cook onion for a minute or two, adding salt and pepper. Add Ground Beef (season with salt, pepper, and 1/2 t of garlic powder) and cook beef and onion together until cooked. While cooking whisk together soup and half and half (add pepper to taste). When beef is cooked add beef broth to the pan and scrape up any browned bits. Add soup mixture and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes then whisk in cream cheese stirring constantly until combined. (Note - add some Wondra Flour if it is not thick enough, like a tablespoon or two.) Once combined remove from heat and add cooked noodles. Fold together until combined.
Put mixture into 3 quart dish and bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes until slightly browned and bubbly.
This will easily serve 4-6 adults.
*Note - I have been using this paste stuff instead of buying Beef Broth that I thought I should share. At one of the grocery stores we go to they do not have any Beef Broth that does not have MSG, so I have had to explore some other options. I decided to try this stuff called "Superior Touch Better Than Bouillon Beef Base". Ingredients seem solid and all you have to do to make a quart is boil water then dissolve 1 1/2 T of the base in it. The best part for Chicago living is that it is a small 8 ounce jar and it will make 38 cups of beef broth over it's life. Space saving is king for me right now. Anyway, I never thought I would use a bouillon base and I actually like this one. It has very deep roasted beef flavor.
To those who like to salt things before tasting, beware of the beef base. I have a jar of this in my fridge (it lasts a really long time!) and we find it to be salty. I made the mistake of over-salting before tasting and WOW! Just wanted to warn you.
ReplyDeleteWe use the beef base in our chili, FYI.
Cyndi is exactly right. This stuff is extremely salty. I am a big proponent of seasoning every layer of a dish as it builds, but with this I only added a very very small sprinkle of salt to the beef right when I added it to the pan. That is the only salt I added and it may have been too salty for some. I have not tasted a store bought beef broth that has this amount of deep roast beef flavor though.
ReplyDelete