Monday, January 10, 2011

Resolution Time...

And so the new year has begun, and my hubby has decided (for real this time) that he's going to diet. So after flipping through some of my mom's foodie magazines on Saturday, I found an interesting recipe for homemade granola. Andy eats yogurt 5-7 times a week, so I thought making some homemade granola would be fun. I'm not crazy about eating yogurt without some crunch in it, and well... I had most of the ingredients in my pantry! Here's what I did.

2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup rice krispies (because I had them)
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup flax seed (the store was out of flax seed - but if they had it, it would've made it in here)
3/4 cup slivered almonds
2 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup dried blueberries
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup

Toast the oats, almonds, cinnamon and salt together in a large skillet until fragrant, 7-8 minutes. Combine everything else - with the exception of the maple syrup - in a large bowl. After toasting, add the toasted ingredients. Combine. Stir in maple syrup until well coated. Spread onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 18 minutes, mixing halfway through the baking process.

You could substitute any kind of nut in here, or add - but Andy isn't crazy on nuts. Could also add shredded coconut, but again - Andy doesn't like it. Honey or maple syrup would work as a binder. If I would've used honey, I would've put some vanilla in it too.

It's loaded with fiber! Flax seed is a great source for omega-3 and for those of you who are pregnant or are thinking about becoming pregnant - wheat germ is a great source for folic acid. And no - I am not pregnant, nor am I attempting to become pregnant or even thinking about procreating at this moment in time.

Any good healthy recipes out there that you are dying to share? I'm looking for some new options in our weekly menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment