First I guess a funny story...I just noticed that apparently this recipe my Aunt gave me is titled "Cimpl Salad"...but as I have been calling it "Chimp Salad" for at least 4 years we will go with that!
"Chimp Salad" How I make it:
2 C Arborio Rice cooked to package directions - be very careful not to over cook or stir too much
1 yellow pepper or green pepper chopped you can also add 1 orange pepper if you would like to make it 3 total
1 red pepper chopped
1/2 of a red onion chopped
1 bunch cilantro
1 C Raisins
1 C Craisins
1 green apple chopped
Toss all of the ingredients with 1/4 -1/2 bottle of Champagne Dressing - Silver Plate or Girards (triangle shaped bottle) works just fine.
The variations would be:
1. The recipe calls for Brown Rice - I have always used Arborio Rice when using rice, but I also made it with Barley once and it was good. I think whatever your grain of choice is will work as long as that grain doesn't have it's own strong flavors.
2. The recipe would like you to add 2 C Chicken - sometimes I serve it alongside grilled chicken, but I have never added it in there.
3. Add 1C of Cashews or Almonds
4. You can really add in any veggies like broccoli and leave out the apple
The best part for me is it is so pretty and colorful to eat!
~-~-~-~-~
Another recipe that is a favorite in my house is Quiche!
A Basic Formula for Quiche Your Way
Pie Crust
make your own (keeps incredibly well in the fridge) or have your Dough Boy friend whip one up
6 eggs - sometimes 7 if you do not add a lot of bulky ingredients (I use large eggs)
1/2 to 2/3 cup or half & half or milk
6-8 ounces of meat chopped
Veggies
1&1/2 to 2 Cups Cheese - fresh grated is better for this
Press pie crust into pan; layer meat, then veggies, then cheese; beat egg and milk together; pour over the top of the quiche
Bake at 425 for 15 minutes then at 400 for 30-35 minutes until it is set and that pretty golden color on top
Let rest for about 5-10 minutes
Slice and enjoy
So that is the basic recipe three options would be:
1. saute 1 onion, 8-10 oz mushrooms, spinach and 1 red pepper - leave out meat - use swiss, mozz or provolone
2. buy turkey or ham lunch meat, slice; add frozen or steamed broccoli; use cheddar cheese
3. brown some sausage; 1 onion, 1 red pepper
No comments:
Post a Comment