Last year, on Christmas morning, my mom made this for breakfast. NO ONE remembers eating it except for my husband and I. I don't know how you can't remember it, because it's so tasty. But then again, our Christmas mornings start with a bottle of champagne being opened, so I guess that would explain it.
If you love Eggs Benedict, give this a try. Or if you're just looking for a tasty new breakfast dish, do it up! When explaining this to people, I call it a deconstructed Eggs Benedict. It's not your traditional hollandaise sauce, but tasty nonetheless. I have made it for overnight guests and I made it and brought it with when we stayed with Andy's parents a few weeks ago. It's making me hungry thinking about it....
1 pound fresh asparagus (trimmed)
6 tbsp. butter or margarine
6 tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 pound Canadian bacon, cubed
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
12 hard-cooked eggs peeled and quartered
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste - I'd use a little less)
10-12 English muffins, warmed
Cut asparagus into 1/2 inch pieces. Cook in a small amount of boiling water until tender (or in microwave). Drain and set aside to cool.
Melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour into smooth. Add milk and broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Add Canadian bacon and cheese; stir until the cheese melts.
Add eggs, salt, cayenne and asparagus, heat through. Serve over English muffins.
**Can be made ahead of time just don't heat through until ready to use. I always make this the day/night before. After you add all of the ingredients, make sure it's stirred together well. Transfer it into a bowl or a large tupperware container and store in the fridge. In the morning, reheat in microwave, or heat on stove. When it's single portions, I do the microwave, but for the whole recipe, I just throw it back on the stove until hot. Toast English muffins while you're waiting for it to reheat.
Enjoy!
i swear to you we did not eat this on Christmas morning... maybe it was some other time you guys were all home? i'd remember this one... maybe i'll have to try it again to see if i can refresh my memory... but i'm sticking with "you're crazy". :)
ReplyDelete