Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bolognese Alternative

Here's a delicious turkey bolognese that is good and good for you! 255 calories per serving (not including the noodles you serve it with). My husband made this the other night and it was simmering on the stove when I walked in the door - it smelled fantastic! Definitely give it a try. Makes a good amount, so if you're in need of leftovers for lunch during the week - you're in luck. Recipe found in Cuisine at Home.

1 tbsp. canola oil
1 lb. ground turkey breast
8 oz. bulk Italian turkey sausage
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup diced celery
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 cup 2% cottage cheese (I used low-fat, small curd)
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 big can diced tomatoes in juice (28 oz.)
1 cup dry red wine
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. each dried oregano and basil
1/2 tsp each kosher salt and red pepper flakes
1/2 cup neufchatel *
1 cup chopped fresh parsley **

* My store didn't have neufchatel (it would be by the cream cheese), so I bought 1/3 less fat cream cheese instead.
** If I had fresh parsley, I would've used it - Andy just threw some dried in at the end.

Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high. Add turkey breast and sausage breaking into smaller chunks; cook until browned. Process onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a food processor until minced; add to browned meat. Cook vegetables until softened, 5 minutes. Process cottage cheese in food processor until smooth, 2 minutes; stir into meat mixture in saute pan. Stir in tomato paste, cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, wine, vinegar, oregano, basil, salt and pepper flakes. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer sauce 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the neufchatel, stirring until melted, then stir in parsley.

Serve over cooked noodles of your choice. I also went to Great Harvest Bread and bought a small loaf of their Popeye bread to go along with this. It has spinach, roasted red pepper, garlic and chunks of parmesan cheese in it - delicious! If you have a store near you, give it a try. And best part about Great Harvest ... no preservatives! They have different breads offered every day of the week. Andy loooooves their cinnamon bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment